Let’s kickstart your way to a healthy season with this brand-new nutritious recipe! Ready to SPICE things up? We hope so because we’re doing healthy lentil chili! This hearty vegetarian-style chili has tons of nutrition and all the satisfaction of real chili in a tasty, health-conscious package!
You’ll need: 1 TBSP olive oil, 1 large onion diced, 1 red, orange, or yellow bell pepper diced, 4 cloves of garlic (minced), kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, 2 TBSP tomato paste, 2 TBSP chili powder, ½ TSP dried oregano, 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, 2 14.5 ounce cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes, 1 cup dried brown lentils, one 15-ounce can navy beans, 1 dried bay leaf, and 1 TBSP red wine vinegar.
Whew! It sounds like a lot but we promise that it’s worth it! Now let’s begin!
- Heat your olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat until it starts to shimmer.
- Add in your onion, bell pepper, garlic, ½ TSP salt and several good grinds of black pepper. Cook these until your vegetables are just tender and brown in spots, stirring occasionally for about 6 minutes.
- Next, stir in your tomato paste, chili powder, and oregano. Continue to cook until the mixture is nice and fragrant and brick-red in color for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in your vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, beans, lentils, bay leaf, ½ TSP salt and a couple of grinds of black pepper.
- Bring it all to a steady simmer before reducing your heat to medium-low. Partially cover with a lid and gently simmer, with some occasional stirring, until the lentils are tender and the chili is nice and thick. Do this for about 35 to 45 minutes.
- Lastly, remove the bay leaf and stir in the vinegar. Season it up with salt and black pepper. Finally, you’re ready to ladle your chili into bowls and serve with toppings as desired.
Congrats! You now have some healthy, piping-hot chili that will surely dazzle your tastebuds!